Matthew Ballo, MD, FACR
Dr. Matthew Ballo is the Medical Director of Radiation Oncology at West Cancer Center & Research Institute, St. Francis and the Radiosurgery Center of Memphis. He was recruited to West in 2014 after 17 years at the mecca of cancers in the US-MD Anderson in Houston. His vision and experience have elevated patient care with a focus on education and research.
Most recently, Dr. Ballo and physicians from Semmes-Murphey completed the area’s first GammaTile® procedure at Saint Francis. Only one other hospital in the state of Tennessee boasts the GammaTile® Technology. Designed to help prevent the reoccurrence of brain tumors, GammaTile is a collagen tile implant that delivers radiation to the area where the patient’s brain tumor was removed—with the goal of leaving healthy tissue unaffected. It is a one-time treatment intended to eliminate the need for ongoing radiation treatments.
- MD, University School of Medicine
- BA, Oberlin College
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Clinical Internship – Mt. Sinai Medical Center
- Radiation Oncology
Awards and Honors
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Honor Medical Society (1995)
- Ivan E. Shalit prize for Excellence in Patient Care (1995)
- Anderson Associates Travel Grant Award (1998)
- First Prize Gilbert H. Fletcher Award, Gilbert H. Fletcher Society (1998)
- First Prize Gilbert H. Fletcher Award, Gilbert H. Fletcher Society (1999)
- Excellence in Cancer Patient Education Award, Cancer Patient Education Network (2011)