Kurt W. Tauer, MD, FACP
Dr. Tauer is a senior partner and Chief of Staff at West Cancer Center. Along with Drs. William H. West and Lee Schwartzberg, Dr. Tauer was one of the original founding partners of West Clinic – joining the small oncology practice in 1985 following the completion of his Fellowship at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. His commitment to serving the entire community, regardless of their ability to pay, has been the foundation of West Cancer Center’s growing Community Outreach Program – a program that seeks to encourage education, prevention and early detection among the most impoverished and underserved in the Memphis area. A renowned expert in the study and treatment of lung, breast, prostate, colon and melanoma cancers, Dr. Tauer also serves on the National Comprehensive Cancer Network Panel for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer.
Dr. Tauer graduated cum laude from Saint Louis University School of Medicine. He completed his residency in internal medicine at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Memphis, followed by a fellowship in Medical Oncology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City. He began his affiliation with West Cancer Center in 1985.
- Winner, Best Healthcare Provider, Memphis Business Journal Healthcare Heroes Awards, 2013
- Finalist, Memphis Business Journal Health Care Heroes Awards, 2005
- Physician Executive of the Year Award, Medical Group Management Association and American College of Medical Practice Executives Awards, 2005
- Henry G. Rudner Jr. MD Memorial Award for Distinguished Career of Service and Devotion to Cancer Needs and Care, 1994
- Senior Partner, Chief of Staff, West Cancer Center
- Associate Professor, Department of Hematology/Oncology, the University of Tennessee Health Science Center
- Board Member, National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN)
- Methodist Foundation Board Member
Dr. Tauer has co-authored more than 45 abstracts and two dozen papers, which have appeared in such publications as Proceedings from the American Society, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Cancer Treatment Report, and The New England Journal of Medicine. To view Dr. Tauer’s recent publications, click here.