Kurt W. Tauer, MD, FACP
Titles and Roles
- Senior Partner, Chief of Staff, West Cancer Center
- Associate Professor, Department of Hematology/Oncology, the University of Tennessee Health Science Center
- Board Member, National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN)
- Methodist Foundation Board Member
Areas of Expertise
- Lung cancer
- Breast cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Colon cancer
BiographyDr. Tauer is a senior partner and the Chief of Staff at West Cancer Center. A board certified oncologist at West Cancer Center, Dr. Tauer has served on the local Board of Directors of the American Cancer Society, on the executive committee of the Baptist Cancer Institute, and as Chairman of the Cancer Committee of Baptist Memorial Hospital in Memphis. He also served as Chief Resident in Internal Medicine at Baptist Memorial Hospital during his residency. Dr. Tauer has been past president of Community Oncology Alliance and has served on the Board of Directors of the Cancer Clinics of Excellence. Dr. Tauer currently serves on the board of the National Comprehensive Care Network.
Education and TrainingDr. Tauer graduated cum laude from Saint Louis University School of Medicine. He completed his residency in internal medicine at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Memphis, followed by a fellowship in Medical Oncology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City. He began his affiliation with West Cancer Center in 1985.
- Winner, Best Healthcare Provider, Memphis Business Journal Healthcare Heroes Awards, 2013
- Finalist, Memphis Business Journal Health Care Heroes Awards, 2005
- Physician Executive of the Year Award, Medical Group Management Association and American College of Medical Practice Executives Awards, 2005
- Henry G. Rudner Jr. MD Memorial Award for Distinguished Career of Service and Devotion to Cancer Needs and Care, 1994
ResearchDr. Tauer’s research activities have focused largely on the analysis of high-dose chemotherapy and peripheral blood stem cell infusion and on the study of various methods of cell therapy.
PublicationsDr. Tauer has co-authored more than 45 abstracts and two dozen papers, which have appeared in such publications as Proceedings from the American Society, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Cancer Treatment Report, and The New England Journal of Medicine. To view Dr. Tauer’s recent publications, click here.
Fight On in MemphisTo Dr. Tauer, treatment is not what can’t be done but what a patient can do. For patients, cancer is the crisis of their lives. This is why, when patients come to Dr. Tauer, he is ready to give them a plan to take it on. His goal is to demystify cancer, to break it down into little pieces to make it easy to understand. Instead of dwelling on what a patient can’t do during treatment, he emphasizes what they can do. The result is often inspiring. But what inspires Dr. Tauer is how cancer brings people together, and how being together is the best treatment a patient can have. “It’s an honor and privilege to be a part of patients’ lives. I see miracles every day: families reunited, people finding an inner strength.”