Mark Reed, MD, FACOG
Corinth MS 38834 662.286.3694
Germantown TN 38138 901.683.0055
Dr. Reed’s primary goal is to ensure that his patients receive personalized and compassionate care. One of his greatest passions is to teach residents and medical students; he was able to rekindle this passion for teaching at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center when he returned to Memphis in 2001. He received the University of Tennessee Health Science Center teaching award in 2007, 2009 and 2013. Dr. Reed is also one of a select group of surgeons in the country performing robotic surgery for gynecologic procedures and is a founding member of the Memphis Robotic and Minimally Invasive Surgery Society. Robotic surgery was not approved for use in gynecology until 2005, and he has performed robotic surgeries since 2007. With Dr. Tillmanns, Dr. Reed completes the majority of robotic gynecologic surgeries in the Memphis area.
His specialty treats cervical, ovarian, uterine, vaginal, and vulvar malignancies. Additionally, he treats women referred by their gynecologist with pre-invasive conditions, such as cervical, vaginal, and vulvar dysplasia, along with severe endometriosis. Dr. Reed believes treatment at West Cancer Center exceeds what is available at large, impersonal cancer centers, and he strives to make every patient feel that they are receiving individualized care.
Dr. Reed and his wife Melanie are native Memphians. They have three sons, and, when time allows, they enjoy golfing or water sports. He is an avid University of Memphis Tigers fan. When he gets a chance, you may see him driving fast on a local track.
Titles and Roles
- Board Certified Gynecologic Oncologist, West Cancer Center
- Assistant Professor, Division of Gynecologic Oncology, the University of Tennessee Health Science Center
- Member of the Society of Gynecologic Oncology
- Member of American College of Surgeons
- Member of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Founding Member of the Memphis Robotic and Minimally Invasive Surgery Society
Areas of Expertise
- Women’s cancers
- Minimally Invasive and Robotic Surgery
- Dr. Reed is actively involved in research, including phase I to phase III clinical trials at West Cancer Center.
- MD, University of Tennessee Center for the Health Sciences
- BS, Memphis State University
- Obstetrics and Gynecology – Naval Hospital Portsmouth
- Obstetrics and Gynecology – Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
Awards and Honors
- Louie Henry Faculty Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching University of Tennessee Health Science Center (2013)
- Outstanding Teacher Award University of Tennessee Health Science Center (2011)
- Louie Henry Faculty Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching University of Tennessee Health Science Center (2009)
- Louie Henry Faculty Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching University of Tennessee Health Science Center (2007)
- Fellows Award, Best Scientific Paper on Oncology 35th Annual Conference, Armed Forces District, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologist (1996)
- Outstanding Performance in Student Education and Training Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology Walter Reed Army Medical Center (1994 – 1995)
- Health Professional Scholarship Program United States Navy Reserve (1983 – 1985)
- University of Tennessee Alumni Scholarship (1984 – 1985)