Alva B. Weir, III, MD, FACP
7945 Wolf River Boulevard
Germantown TN 38138 901.683.0055
Germantown TN 38138 901.683.0055
Alva B. Weir, III, MD, FACP, has special expertise in the treatment of Head and Neck Cancer, CNS tumors and Hepatocellular carcinoma.
Titles and Roles
- Medical Oncologist and Hematologist, West Cancer Center
- Program Director, Fellowship Program
- Attending Physician, Veteran’s Affairs Medical Center
Areas of Expertise
- Head and Neck cancer
- Hepatocellular cancer
- CNS tumors
BiographyDr. Weir received his medical degree from the University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC). He completed his Internal Medicine residency at both Barnes-Jewish Hospitals in St. Louis and City of Memphis Hospitals. Dr. Weir obtained board certification in both Hematology and Oncology after training at the University of Alabama Birmingham and UTHSC. He served for two years as an internal medicine specialist in a mission hospital in Eku, Nigeria. After serving on the faculty at UTHSC for several years, he joined The West Clinic in 1992, where he remained until 2005, continuing as Clinical Faculty for UTHSC during those years. Dr. Weir has most recently been focused on medical student and fellowship training in the Hematology and Oncology program, as Program Director and Professor of Medicine at UTHSC. He has returned to West Cancer Center and is excited about its new partnership with the UTHSC as the Hematology/Oncology academic division. He sees private practice patients at West Cancer Center and manages patients at the Veterans Administration Medical Center as well. Dr. Weir is the proud husband of Becky, the father of Bowen, Catherine, and Jennifer, and the grandfather of a growing herd of grandchildren. His hobbies are his work and his family. Dr. Weir is the author of a support book for patients, When Your Doctor Has Bad News.
Education and TrainingDr. Weir completed his undergraduate education at Southwestern at Memphis (now Rhodes College), in Memphis, TN. He then received his medical degree from the University of Tennessee College of Medicine. He completed his education with an internship at Barnes Hospital, in St. Louis, MO, followed by his residency in internal medicine with the City of Memphis Hospitals. He furthered his education as a Fellow in Hematology/Oncology with the University of Alabama-Birmingham.
ResearchDr. Weir’s research projects include the following:
- Principle Investigator: Severe Neutropenia in Hepatitis C Positive Veterans Not Undergoing Anti-Viral Therapy in the Veteran’s Administration Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee
- Principle Investigator: Evaluation of a Tool for Physicians to Improve the Informed Consent Process in the Hematology/Oncology Clinic at Veteran’s Administration Hospital, Memphis Tennessee.
- Principle Investigator: Evaluation of Decision-making of Cancer Patient and Non-cancer Hospice Patient Death in Intensive care Unit at the Veterans Affairs Medical center, Memphis, TN.
- Principle Investigator: Chronic Idiopathic Neutrophilia in Veterans; an ongoing project accepted as poster presentation at the First World Congress on Controversies in Hematology.
- Principle Investigator: Idiopathic thrombocytopenia in prostate cancer patients.
- Principle Investigator:Treatment preference discussions in cancer patients at the VA Medical center
- Principle Investigator: hepatocelluar cancer screening study
PublicationsDr. Weir has published more than 30 articles in peer reviewed medical journals. To view Dr. Weir’s most recent publications, click here.